Our Quest to change our lives began in Feb. 2010 and we lost 224 lbs. We slowly gained a lot of that weight back and we're now on another journey for weight loss and better health using Bright Line Eating. This is the story of our continuing Journey. .
(For the fullest effect, begin at the beginning in Feb. 2010 using our Blog Archive on sidebar)

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Independence Day!!!

Happy 4th of July my friends!!  How wonderful to live in this GREAT country.  I'm feeling blessed today.


We got up early, my 3 kids and I - (Brent and my oldest are in Utah).  And we went to the city center to do the CAT walk/run 5k!!  My daughter was running it with me while my other daughter and son were saving spots along the parade route with friends.

I drove with my friend and her daughters and hooked up with Joy and her daughter there too!  We had a fun little group!


Joy and Margene
The weather was perfect and it was a beautiful sunny morning.  After our little aerobic warm up, the race started.  Immediately I was separated from everyone in my group - because of the crowd and since we all were at different paces.  But I started my pace and just kept it. I didn't think to bring my ipod and without having a partner right beside me, I knew I was in for some mind-games!  About one third the way in, I thought of my parents... and in my mind I dedicated this run to them.  I was also running for my sister who is a cancer survivor.  It became an endearing and emotional run right away.  

Then I thought of Brent and imagined him running next to me.  I sang the words to "Whole Wide World" that I have posted in a previous post... I stared at the road ahead of me and tried my best not to think about how much longer I had.  The last stretch, I lengthened my stride and was really feeling it.  There were parade spectators who seemed to cheer the people in front of me and the people coming after me.  I felt very solo and wished I knew someone along the route I could wave to and who could give me a cheer.  But I imagined it in my head.  I pushed it, hoping to match or beat my record from the Starlight run of 42 minutes.  

When I came up to the finish - it said 34 minutes 14 seconds!!!  

WOWEE!!!  
I crossed alone with no one waiting for me or with me or any cheering... but I felt like I just won the lottery!  It felt awesome!

Soon Joy's daughter, and then Joy came running across.  She ran the whole way too!  What a rockstar!!  And then my daughter and her friends!  So Awesome!  Here I am with my daughter after our run.


Last year this was my FIRST 5K and I just walked it.  I remember it being quite hard to just walk it and I did it in about an hour.  Now I'm here a year later and I ran it in 34 minutes!  I feel so thankful that I could do this!!  Below is a pic with my friend and I from last year and then this year!  

2010 CatWalk
2011 CatWalk

What a difference a year makes.  How many years of my life went by and I did NOTHING to improve myself.  How many years did I feel tied up in doubt and self loathing.  I hope to celebrate every single day of my life and every single blessing I have!  I don't want to waste a single day anymore!

I hope you have a FABULOUS day, my friends and do something to celebrate YOUR life and the lives of those you love!  You are worth it!  Life is good!!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am so touched by this post Margene. I could feel what you were saying! I did my first 5K last year and was so shocked on my second one when my time was so much better too! I am so proud of you! I am telling you...this running this is addicting isnt it?! In a good way! And how cool that you got to meet up with Joy! When I did my first 5k my family was there but the crowd was so large I couldnt find them. Then my second one my friend showed up with a sign and it meant the world to me! So I know just what you are saying. I really like the way you dug deep and pushed positive and meaningful thoughts into your mind to push you through. I am going to do that next time. I know I keep saying it but I am so proud of you Margene!!!!

JEnnifer
http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Wowee! What a difference a year can make when you work hard! :D Deb

Joy said...

My Friend,

You did so awesome!! Even with the obstacles and missing your hubby you blasted your last goal. You have improved soooo much in such a short time!! Can't wait to see how you do on your next 5k!!!

Keep up the great work!!

Love & Hugs!

gracies tough journey said...

Amazing job. COngrats to you that is awesome. I dont know how you did it without your ipod. Wow!
I need it just walk my daily 2 miles. So proud of you!

Lori said...

Margene,
That post made me cry. How sweet to run for your family!!

I am so proud of you.
Lori

Michele said...

Wow, that is quite a difference. You should feel so proud of yourself! Good for you, runner Margene!