Our Quest to change our lives began in Feb. 2010 and we lost 224 lbs. We slowly gained a lot of that weight back and we're now on another journey for weight loss and better health using Bright Line Eating. This is the story of our continuing Journey. .
(For the fullest effect, begin at the beginning in Feb. 2010 using our Blog Archive on sidebar)

Monday, October 8, 2018

Day 21 on Bright Line Eating - Three Weeks of No Sugar and No Flour Feels Good!

This morning was our weekly weigh in and the results are:

I have released 4 pounds!
Brent has released 2 pounds!

This is very encouraging for both of us. It's nice to have a week where it pays off in the scale because I know there are and will be weeks where it won't show in the scale. (Like last week for Brent).

I do have to say that it does take work to eat this way. It takes time to plan our meals and to shop and prepare. Before doing BLE, I was not preparing every meal. It was pretty much fend for yourself at home. All my kids are older and we typically only sat down for Sunday meals.  Now I've been preparing meals for me and Brent, and when any of my kids are home, I make some for them too. They've all been eating more vegetables and fruits for sure!

Just as a reference:

Breakfast includes: 
  • 4 oz protein (6 oz for Brent)
  • 4 oz cooked (1 oz uncooked grain)
  • 6 ounces of fruit.  

Lunch includes:

  • 4 oz protein (6 oz for Brent)
  • 6 oz veggies
  • 6 oz fruit
  • 1 tbsp/2 oz fat 

Dinner includes:
  • 4 oz protein (6 oz for Brent)
  • 14 oz of veggies that I can divide up into salad and/or cooked veggies.
  • 1 tbsp/2 oz fat

Here are my meals this week.


Week 3 Day 1: 


 BREAKFAST: Oatmeal, Berries, Cottage Cheese, Cantaloupe

LUNCH: Turkey & Hummus, Pickle, Celery, Netctarine

DINNER (Brent): 5 Sausages and Cheese, Cucumber, Steamed Broccoli w/ Butter

DINNER (Me): Beef Strips, Steamed Broccoli with Butter, Cherie Tomatoes


Week 3 Day 2:

 BREAKFAST (Brent): Oatmeal/Egg/Banana Waffle, Turkey Bacon, Cheese, Berries

BREAKFAST (Me): Oatmeal/Egg/Banana Waffle, Beef Crumbles, Berries
These waffles are so delicious! We put the berries on them and with the mashed banana inside, it's just yummy!

LUNCH: Salmon Patty, Cheese, Pickle, Cherie Tomatoes, Grapes & Cantaloupe

DINNER: Taco Salad (w/ Ground Turkey, Romaine Lettuces & Cherie Tomatoes), Sauteed Zucchini, Shredded Cheese


 Week 3 Day 3:

BREAKFAST:  Cottage Cheese & Pineapple, Oatmeal & Berries

LUNCH: Taco Salad (with Ground Turkey, Peppers, Romaine Lettuce, Tomatoes), Pickle, Plum

DINNER (Brent): Spaghetti Squash, 2 Veggie Burgers, 2 Slices Swiss Cheese

DINNER (Me): Huge Turkey Leg (4 oz. off this leg, pulling off the skin), Spaghetti Squash.
I saw a pack of 2 pre-cooked turkey legs at the store, and after checking the ingredients I got them. I love the big turkey legs at Disneyland so I thought it'd be fun to include on in my meal. And it was very tasty! The meat from each turkey leg lasted me 2-3 meals - it's way bigger than you realize from the picture.

Week 3 Day 4:

BREAKFAST:  Scrambled Eggs, Pan Fried Potatoes (using Pam spray), Plum
One of our favorite breakfasts!

 LUNCH: Canadian Bacon & Hummus, Celery & Tomatoes, Pineapple (cheese not pictured)

DINNER: Sausage, Cheese, Roasted Veggies (Onions, Zucchini, Asparagus, Carrots, Mushrooms and Broccoli), Sliced Cucumbers

Week 3 Day 5:

 BREAKFAST:  Triscuits, Cheese and Pear

LUNCH: Taco Salad (with Ground Turkey, Romaine Lettuce, Tomatoes, Cucumbers), Mixed Fruit (Cantaloupe, Grapes & Strawberries)

DINNER (Brent): 2 Veggie Burgers with Cheese, Sauteed Squash and Zucchini, Steamed Cabbage w/ butter.  We love steamed cabbage and so do our kids!

DINNER (Me): Salmon Burger (I love to put dill week on it), Dill Pickle, Sauteed Squash and Zucchini, Steamed Cabbage w/ butter. So delicious!


Week 3 Day 6:

BREAKFAST: Fried Potatoes, Scrambled Eggs, Grapes and Cantaloupe

(I forgot to take a picture of lunch)

DINNER: Turkey Leg Meat, 2 Dill Pickles, and Roasted Veggies (Asparagus, Peppers, and Mushrooms)

Week 3 Day 7:

BREAKFAST: Oatmeal/Egg/Apple Waffle, 3 Sausages, and Berries
Another favorite breakfast!

LUNCH: Ham & Hummus, Cheese, Celery and Dill Pickle, Pear

DINNER: Taco Salad (w/ Ground Turkey, Peppers, Cucumbers, & Romaine Lettuce) Steamed Broccoli, Baked Squash (not pictured)


This is the first time in trying a new way of eating to lose weight that I feel like we can keep this change for a long time. When we reach goal weight, we may add in some things, but I don't want to EVER go back to eating sugar and flour!  

My cravings are gone and I don't miss sugar!  I'm enjoying the sweetness of the fruit and I feel like I'm tasting my food better than I ever had.  Everything in Susan Peirce Thompson's book, Bright Line Eating is true. 

I'm excited when we can get off medications. Brent has diabetes and we want to get him his meds for that. Diabetes IS curable! You don't have to just take medication all your life.  You can change your eating and change your health.  I've known this all along, but I've had a hard time feeling like I could do it long-term.  Now I feel that I can and I will.  I truly had to BELIEVE it was POSSIBLE again!

No more products to buy, but simply good, healthy food! I'm sold!

We went to another movie last week and had NOTHING to eat there. We went right after dinner and just brought our water. We enjoyed it. We also have gone shopping at Costco and NOT eaten any of the samples. I don't want to cross any of my bright lines! I ONLY eat what is on my meal plate in front of me at meal time. And it's plenty of food and very filling. I don't need food at other times.

I used to be an avid sugar-free gum chewer, mostly to control my breath. But now I just use a breath spray and I'm training my body that I don't need gum. It's been an adjustment, but not bad at all. I think my motivation to get this weight off is much HIGHER than my desire to chew gum or snack.  I'd rather fit in small clothes and go indoor rock climbing again!

Of course, I also pray every day to have the strength and determination to keep with my eating plan and to not give in if/when I am tempted. I pray for success and then I move forward like it's all on me. I can tell I have been blessed, and I am super happy with our success so far. But it does take work. I'm already planning months ahead when I can fit into smaller clothes, smaller coat for winter hopefully, and pull out my smaller tops I've saved in storage. Good times to look forward to, so I'm very motivated to NOT break my bright lines!

Life is good! Fight the good fight!
Love,
~Margene XOXox


No comments: