Okay, today is the big day... Halloween. Happy Halloween to ya'll. Today and building up to today, I have promised myself that I would NOT give in to Halloween Candy. NOPE.
It wasn't that long ago that I was snitching more high calorie desserts here and there and was telling Brent how hard it is to NOT eat that stuff. I told him I needed something to help me "take control".
He said something to me that made SO much sense. He said "When you were on plan before you just did it! You simply made that choice." And he is right! The truth is, when I really want to stick to my eating plan, then I DO!
So, it wasn't any certain thing, pill, therapy, etc. that I need to avoid my off plan foods, I simply need to get my head in gear and CHOOSE BEFOREHAND that it is NOT an option. (See previous rationalizing post). So far, no pieces of candy has passed my lips.
But I have enjoyed some awesome new knox blox flavors: Lime/Banana/Coconut, and Raspberry/Mango! I'm enjoying the food I do have, and then not focussing on food at all!
Below are some tips I liked from Dr. Anderson (co-founder of Take Shape For Life):
Well, there are a few helpful tips to remember when your sweet tooth is twitching…..
- DO NOT buy any Halloween candy! Or, buy candy that you do not like. It is better to give out small packets of pretzels or play-do or fruit roll ups.
- Keep in your mind that there will always be candy, but you are choosing to improve your health right now, and candy will not help you reach your goal!
- Make your own fudge cycles by freezing the chocolate shakes.
- Freeze crystal light for a fruity, candy-like desert.
- Sugar free jell-o is a great candy-like snack (KNOX BLOX!!)
- Do not stay at home on Halloween handing out your treats. Instead, grab a bottle of water and take a nighttime walk around the neighborhood to take in all the ghoulish sights!
- Bring healthy snacks to work (see Healthy Snack list) to keep from being tempted by candy in the office.
- Cut up a Medifast bar and put it in a baggie. Freeze it for a sweet treat later!
- A great idea to help keep the piles of candy from going into your children’s body…Have them pick out 5 pieces of candy out of their bag and “buy” the rest of the bag from them for 10 dollars and then take them to the toy store to get a prize! Remember to throw the bags of candy away or give to a shelter!!!!!!
- Stay in touch with your Health Coach, he or she can help you stay strong
Well, we are doing the same thing… our primary goal is to lose weight and get healthy. Some secondary goals are…exercise daily, drink water, stay away from extra carbohydrates and starches, do not drink alcohol, possibly decide not to go to some parties, and do not eat Halloween candy! And we will make these secondary choices because it will help us to reach what is most important to us right now… to lose weight, feel great, and to look and be healthy!!
Halloween 2007 and then 2011