Our Quest to change our lives began in Feb. 2010 and we lost 224 lbs. We slowly gained a lot of that weight back and we're now on another journey for weight loss and better health using Bright Line Eating. This is the story of our continuing Journey. .
(For the fullest effect, begin at the beginning in Feb. 2010 using our Blog Archive on sidebar)

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Week 28 - Coming Out of Prison

I lost 5 pounds last week!!!! And my man lost 2 pounds!!

BOOYA!!

(Notice how this is the exact reverse of last weeks results where I lost 2 and he lost 5)

I know I had a bigger loss this week because I really worked on being more true to the program. I am back to measuring my portions and not rationalizing eating any foods that are off plan. I already know this plan works so I am sticking to it. I want to get the rest of this weight off my body and then I can transition into more options. It’s all GOOD!


Can anyone possibly understand how a person just released from prison would feel? To finally have the chains, bars and cuffs removed and to feel personal liberty and freedom again after it has been taken for a time.


I reflected on that thought today as I have gone over my journey. I feel as if I am slowing COMING OUT OF PRISON, and I didn’t even realize how much in prison I really have been! All the little things mean SO much when you’ve been without it for so long. Like just this last week, I was sitting by a lady who had her legs crossed and I wondered to myself if I could cross mine yet... so I tried and I could!! I had a little thrill inside because I could finally sit w/my legs crossed like other women do! I couldn’t wait to tell my hubby!

I have been in bondage to obesity for 20+ years. I have been in a personal, tormenting prison of self-loathing, endless pains, and loss of freedom. I will NEVER FORGET and I will NEVER GO BACK.


I feel like I am finally on a different path going in a different direction and it feels liberating! Isn’t it amazing how when you take control of what you eat and make better choices, it actually gives you more freedom?


I have learned in Dr. A’s book (Habits of Health) that I want my goals to be for what I WANT and not what I don’t want. Example: When we have goals like - I don’t want to be in pain anymore, I don’t want to be fat anymore, I don’t want to feel sick, etc. What happens is that as soon as you start to not have pain or not feel fat or sick (or whatever the goal is), the motivation ends and the diet or actions taken stop. Then we slip back into old habits until we feel fat or sick again and can’t take it anymore then it all starts over. Thus we get into the “yo yo” dieting where we lose and gain and it gets worse every time. This WAS me!!!


Instead, I am going to focus my goals on what I WANT. Example: I want to have optimal heath, I want to run a 5k then a 10K and more, I want to go on long bike rides a few times a week, etc. So my goals are what I want and my choices each day are going towards these goals that I am seeking. No more “yo-yoing” for me. This is IT! My life is not going to be the same as it was before!

7 comments:

Lesia said...

Incredible results! Way to go !!!!

divad said...

I totally understand your thoughts regarding prison and being set free. I am so happy and excited for you!!!! And, tell the hubs he's doing great!

Anonymous said...

Freedom! Oh, yeah! It is for freedom that Christ has set us free!! :D Deb

Wendy Nielsen said...

I just found your blog this evening. I had to read through all of it and it is now 1:54AM...so worth it! I am starting on medifast in about 3 weeks as I am going on vacation first and will begin when I come back. You are an inspiration!

Wendy

Mom to the Fourth Power said...

Wendy! Thanks for commenting! That is really touching that you read through all my blog. :) How exciting that you are beginning this journey as well. I am happy to cheer you on as well!!! :) I'm so excited for you!

~Margene

Jennifer said...

I am so excited that you want to do a 5K!! I want to do a 10K after that too. I say this now when i havent even done the 5 yet..haha. I definately think you should go for it...eventually. Set your mind to it and accomplish it!

However...having been on MF I have to let you know that when I started running even smaller amounts my weight loss stopped. MF apparently wasnt enough calories for my body to run and I must have gone into starvation mode. My health coach told me to stop or cut down on running/exercise(which didnt seem liek I was doing much to start with) and sure enough the weight loss started again. It was at that point I came off MF because I wanted to exercise. For the first time i was capable of it. And you know what??? (this is a secret) Sometimes i wish I had stayed on MF and gotten a little more weight off first before exercising. I am not sure why I am telling you all this other than to tell you to watch how much exercise you are doing because I dont want you to stop losing!!! But when that day comes and you start training I will be your number one supporter!! I cant wait because I know you are totally capable Margene!!! You have come so far!

Jennifer
http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

Julie said...

MF? I haven't read it all yet. I was wondering how you can have a great weigh loss each week. I have to see what it is you're up to.
I love reading about your losses. Keep them coming. YEAH!!! for you both.
Take care and have a blessed week.