Our Quest to change our lives began in Feb. 2010 and we lost 224 lbs. We slowly gained a lot of that weight back and we're now on another journey for weight loss and better health using Bright Line Eating. This is the story of our continuing Journey. .
(For the fullest effect, begin at the beginning in Feb. 2010 using our Blog Archive on sidebar)

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Week 9 Results... and how to be COOL!

I lost 5 pounds this week!! That's a total of 40 pounds lost! (I almost can't believe this!)
My man is down 3 pounds for a total of 45 pounds lost!

I tried a new veggie recipe this week! I found this in a mag at the Dr. office and it looked good.
(This is actually double the recipe - you can half this to try it on a smaller scale)
Sauteed Cauliflower & Grape Tomatoes:
4 T. real bacon bits
4 T. extra virgin olive oil (divided)
1 medium head cauliflower CHOPPED (about 8 cups)
4 T. water
4 T. red-wine vinegar
2 Cups grape tomatoes, halved
4 T. chopped fresh parsley
2 T minced garlic
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. freshly ground pepper

Add 2 T oil to pan & heat up on medium heat. Add cauliflower, cover and cook stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes. Add water and vinegar, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender and the liquid has evaporated, about 6 minutes more.

Add the remaining 2 T oil, tomatoes, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the garlic is soft, about 3 minutes more. Serve the sauteed cauliflower with the bacon bits on top.

Each cup of this is: 124 calories, 9 g. fat, 4 g. protein, & 3 g. fiber.

The cauliflower dish is quite tasty. The tomatoes give it a "zing". My hubby enjoyed them too. A nice change from the salads. I had it with chicken and the next night with Boca burger and some Ranch dressing on top.

My coach clued me onto this dish using the pre-cooked beef strips from Costco and fresh broccoli. You heat up the strips over the stove and add some "Newmans own low-fat sesame ginger" dressing. I also mixed my broccoli in the dressing after I steamed them, for a delicious Beef and Broccoli dinner!

HOW TO BE COOL!!

Okay, I noticed right away at a Medifast convention I went to with my man and my coach before we started that everyone and their dog had a water bottle! (That is if they had a dog, it would have had a water bottle too!)
I learned pretty quickly that carrying a water bottle everywhere is COOL! Healthy, active, happy people seem to have water bottles and drink from them all the time. So I got on the band wagon right away.

We have shied away from buying the plastic water bottles and have converted several "Sobe" glass drink bottles into our "at home" water bottles. The glass is easy to stick in the DW after a couple uses so they're easier to keep clean. We have a whole shelf in our fridge just for all our glass water bottles!! (Our kids use them too).
And I LOVE these plastic ones from Costco. There is no lid to unscrew, you can just pull the trigger and the spout opens and you drink! It doesn't leak (which other water bottles I bought have) and it has a clip on it. Total winner for us. We bought two packs of them (3 come in a pack) so we can always have one ready to grab and my hubby keeps one in his car and one at work.
Meet Gloria.... Gloria is my purse! Yes, I name my purses... mostly because I started once with my kids and now whenever I get a new purse they require me to name it. It makes it easy to ask them to "get Gloria for me", or "hold on to Gloria please".
Anyway... I picked Gloria out at Fred Meyer when I was shopping with a friend. I was going to pick a pink version of this purse, but my friend (who knew about my upcoming lifestyle change) said I should pick orange because it's "NEW" like the NEW ME I am creating! I LOVE that!! And the orange made it look glorious (thus she became Gloria).

And I was THRILLED to see how my water bottle fit in Gloria's pocket... the clip perfectly at the right size to snap into the o-ring of the handle. Sweetness! I makes it SO easy to take my water everywhere!! (Now, I can be cool too!)

I want to end this post with just a quick SHOUT OUT for my coach! My hubby's medifast order got damaged on it's route to our house and thus his food shipment was put off for another week. We were running out of bars. When I told this to my SUPER COOL and FABULOUS coach, she immediately ran over some boxes of bars from her own food supply! That meant SO much to us. She also gives me so many food ideas and is just SO positive. Besides the fact that she is my coach, she is also the kindest friend who is so encouraging and generous! I feel SO THANKFUL that I saw her when I did (having lost her 100+ pounds) and was introduced to this program that is changing me and my husbands lives! You will always have my love and admiration, Latrease!!!

2 comments:

lynnss1 said...

Hi Margene:

You go girl! You and your hubby are kicking some serious weight-loss butt! Tried the muffin recipe with peach oatmeal and vanilla syrup... only had sugar-full in the fridge, so I used just a little and added more water. They're pretty good. I'm going to make apple muffins tomorrow night, since I'm out of bars until my next shipment.

Had to say goodbye this weekend to German exchange students who've been visiting for three weeks. Little bit of emotional eating (ok, a lot) as we shared some last meals with Selina, who was our guest. Got a little more attached to her than expected... she was sweet, funny and fit right into our family. She's back home safely in Germany and our daughter is counting down the days to June 19, when she and kids from her school leave for their 3 weeks in Germany.

Love that you name your purses and that you chose a new style for the new you! I did something similar a few weeks back... needed a new smaller spring jacket and opted for bright blue with bright green accents... not colors I'd usually choose but I like it!

I drink plenty of water during the week at work, but find it harder on the weekend. Need to find myself a cool water bottle! I love the drink infusers. They're a nice change when I'm in the mood for something other than plain h20.

Have a great week!

Lynn

Mom to the Fourth Power said...

Lynn.. I love adding flavor to my water too. The Crystal light single bottle packets... I use 1-2 of those a day. Great idea too.

I can understand your emotional eating with your guest's last day. It's hard not to share meals like that. I really miss that. But I've actually invited friends over and just made a glorious salad bar with meat to put on too. That way I still enjoy their company without compromising what I eat.

Glad you like the muffins. I'm excited to try one my coach told me about with maple/brown sugar oatmeal and a chocolate pudding with a chocolate sugar free syrup. Yum! She actually found a choc. chip cookie dough sugar free syrup that she used and loved it.

We sure run out of those bars too! Love em!!
Best of luck to you this week. Be strong girlfriend. You're doing great!